Monday 1 January 2018

Welcome 2018 - sharing my One Little Word

Happy New Year everyone!!

I go into each new year filled with optimism and a feeling of wonder about what the year will hold.

So many possibilities, so many chances.

I relish the chance to press 'restart'.

In fact I love the time between Christmas and New Year for this very reason - it gives me a chance to reflect on the previous year, and recharge ready for the upcoming 12 months.  I always feel a little emotional and feel a real sense of shift and inner change.

This is usually the time that my word comes to me. My One Little Word. (This was created by the super inspiring Ali Edwards - you can read about it here)

Many years ago I gave up on the idea of New Year's Resolutions - Instead of making resolutions, which let's face it, we rarely achieve, which then causes guilt, which creates negativity, I prefer to select a word, to have as a guide throughout the year. I think it's a more positive way of thinking plus I adore words.

I've been selecting a word each year for a while now.
Some have been hugely powerful, and really caused a year of self reflection and personal growth.  Some are still a big part of my life, and I continue to focus on them regularly.

Sometimes these words present themselves loudly and boldly and other years they are more of a gentle whisper, and I find I really need to quiet myself and listen.

Previous words that I have connected with are:
Peace
Balance
Forward
Connect
Create
Play
Brave (my absolute favourite)
Adventure
Light

This year I've had a couple popping in to grab my attention, but I've decided to go with......




This word has settled in for a number of reasons.

Firstly this


This really speaks to me.


And this.
This has always been one of my favourite quotes. 
 
I have always struggled with my past, with what has happened to me, with things out of my control.
Sometimes it becomes too much for me.
It paralyses me.
Sometimes I need to regain control, to feel safe, to feel connected with the world.
 
Having that ability to choose gives me back my power, it empowers me.
 
 
 
 
I also want to choose wisely. 
To make a conscious effort to choose, and not to go on 'autopilot'. Because it's up to me.  I get to choose how I am going to react to the big things, the little things and all the medium things inbetween.
I want to choose to be kind. To others and to myself.
I want to choose to see the natural beauty in the world.
I want to continue to choose gratitude - to notice and be thankful for all the little things.
I want to choose mindfulness - to be conscious of my thoughts and inner monologue.
I want to choose joy and happiness and cause a shift in my thinking.  A deep appreciation for life.
I want to choose me. Make time for the things I love.
 
 
So here's to 2018 and choosing to make it a great year.
 
I invite you to find your word.
 
I'd love you to share it with me.
 
Much love
xxx
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I love your word!! Everything you said is what I can't seem to put into words. Wishing you all the best for 2018!! Lots of love xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lisa, so sweet, I wish the same for you and I really think Brave is going to be awesome for you!

      Delete